Skip to content

Travel FAQ's


Q. How do I locate my immunization record?

First check with your parent/guardian. You can also check with your pediatrician/childhood provider or high school. Student Health only has the immunization records you (or your parent) provided.
If you are unable to locate any records, you can schedule an appointment with one of our Advice Nurses on the next steps.

Q: How do I know my medication is legal in my destination country?

It is your responsibility to make sure your medication is legal and available in your host country. Check with your EAP advisor for the appropriate references. You may also check your host country’s website or call the embassy for details. Sometimes the International Narcotics Control Board website has the necessary information, although one should still check for updated information on the Country’s website. 

Please carry a copy of your prescription(s) with you while abroad including the generic name(s).  Some countries also require a letter from your doctor stating the purpose of the medication.  It is recommended to carry your medication in your carry-on luggage in case your checked bags are lost or stolen.

Q: What vaccines are available at Student Health?

We have routine and travel-related vaccines with the exception of the Yellow Fever Vaccine. For travelers needing the Yellow Fever Vaccine, you will be referred off-campus.  

Q: Are there other locations in Santa Barbara for travel-related services?

A: Yes. 

Sansum Clinic Travel and Tropical Medicine- (805) 898-3530
The MedCenter: (805) 681-7411
Costco-online service with shots and prescriptions given in pharmacy

Q: Where can I go to get a Yellow Fever Vaccine

The Yellow Fever vaccine is required or recommended for travel to many countries in Africa and South America (see the CDC website for more information).  If you have already had a Yellow Fever vaccine, you do not need to be re-vaccinated.

If you will be traveling to a destination that requires a Yellow Fever vaccination, you will be referred to Sansum Travel Clinic, (805) 898-3530, in Santa Barbara for your Yellow Fever vaccination and your travel consult. 

Note: This clinic is offering Stamaril ®, a yellow fever vaccine licensed in other countries, and available in the US through an Expanded Access Investigational New Drug Application (IND) at limited locations.