Loss Coverage of UC SHIP

If you are no longer eligible for UC SHIP, you can contact AHP for a Letter of Creditable Coverage or Certification of Coverage.


Academic Healthplans (AHP)

3500 William D. Tate Ave., Suite 200
Grapevine, TX 76051

Phone: (855) 871-9549
Fax: (855) 858-1964

Insurance After Graduation

Insurance Coverage After Graduation or Departure From UCSB

UC Santa Barbara Commencement

We do not offer insurance options for students who have recently graduated. Your coverage ends on the last day of the academic quarter, but you will have a grace period of one (1) quarter to use Student Health Service.  All services need to be paid upfront as we will no longer be able to bill your BARC account.

Students can consider enrolling as a dependent (if under age 26) on a parent’s plan, purchasing a plan through a broker, or enrolling in a Covered California plan (including Medi-Cal).

A loss of coverage due to leaving UCSB would also be considered a qualifying event, and you are eligible to enroll with Covered California now by calling them directly at (800) 300-1506 or by visiting the Covered California website ( If you qualify for coverage and enroll by the 15th day of the month, your coverage will begin on the first day of the next month; if you enroll after the 15th day of the month, your coverage will start on the first day of the second month.

Also, check the UCSB Alumni Association website for benefits such as potential discounts on health insurance