Graduate Students on Approved Leave of Absence (LOA)
UC Santa Barbara graduate students who are on an "approved leave of absence" may purchase UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) coverage per quarter for a maximum of two quarters by contacting Academic Health Plans (AHP) at (855) 871-9549. The cost of insurance premiums for voluntary enrollment is paid directly to AHP. The deadline to enroll is normally within 31 days of the first day of the quarter (see specific dates below).
Please note that a student who withdraws from UCSB is not considered to be on an "approved leave of absence." Also, the student must have been covered by UC SHIP in the term immediately preceding the term for which the student wants to purchase coverage, or if the student waived enrollment in the prior coverage period, they must show proof of loss of the plan that was previously used to waive. Proof of loss means an official letter of termination from the insurance carrier. Please use the enrollment form that corresponds to your academic program based upon either the quarter or semester system.
Visit Academic Health Plan (AHP) Web Portal
Premium Cost Sheet: 2022-23 Voluntary Graduate
Students With Cancelled or Withdrawn Status
- Students in Withdrawn status automatically retain their insurance for the remainder of the quarter from which they withdrew. If a student does not wish to remain enrolled in UC SHIP, they must contact us prior to the 43rd day of the term, AND cannot have utilized the insurance at SHS or off-campus. Those withdrawn students may request a full refund of the insurance charge by emailing SHSinsurance@sa.ucsb.edu. Email must be received within the 43 (forty-three) day window. If the insurance refund is approved, coverage will be canceled for the entire quarter, as though it was never in effect for that term.
- Students who withdraw on or after the 43rd day of the term will retain coverage for the balance of that term and no refund will be allowed.
- Students in Cancelled status will have all of their fees reversed and insurance coverage will be terminated for the entire quarter.
PLEASE NOTE: There is no refund allowed for students who withdraw or cancel registration if they have already utilized benefits under the insurance plan – the insurance premium must be paid.
Undergraduate and Graduate students who are enrolled in UC SHIP have the option to enroll eligible dependents in a voluntary insurance plan. The plan provides Anthem Blue Cross PPO medical insurance with the option to purchase Delta Dental and Vision benefits. The cost of insurance premiums for voluntary coverage is paid directly to Academic HealthPlans (AHP). Student Health Services DOES NOT manage the enrollment or collect payments for the dependent plan.
Coverage of eligible dependents
Coverage for dependents will not be effective prior to that of the insured student or extended beyond that of the insured student. Dependent enrollment or re-enrollment in the plan is not automatic. Eligible dependents must be re-enrolled in each subsequent term in order to continue coverage under the dependent plan - see important deadline dates below. Do not wait until your expiration date to re-enroll for the following quarter. This can take 7 to 14 days for processing and you may experience a loss of coverage.
If a student decides to dis-enroll their dependent(s) during an academic term, then the premiums are non-refundable. Dependents are not eligible to receive care at Student Health Service and they do not need a referral from SHS to receive services from community providers.
DOCUMENTATION TO SHOW PROOF OF DEPENDENT STATUS
Students are required to provide proof of dependent status when enrolling their dependents in the plan. The following documents are acceptable:
- Spouse - marriage certificate
- Domestic Partner - a Declaration of Domestic Partnership issued by the State of California or another country or state jurisdiction.
- Natural Child - a birth certificate showing the student is the parent of the child
- Stepchild - a student's marriage certificate with their spouse's name listed on the child's birth certificate.
- Adopted or Foster Child - documentation from the placement agency showing that the student has the legal right to control the child's health care
VISIT ACADEMIC HEALTH PLAN (AHP) WEB PORTAL:
Dependent Enrollment Link