Skip to content

Transgender Health Care

NEW: Change your name, pronouns and gender markers on GOLD

Our clinicians at Student Health and Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) can help you with everyday problems, as well as more specialized needs that may require a referral to surgeons, psychiatrists or endocrinologists.


We welcome your input on how we can improve our services related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning students. Please let us know by email:

Further information about Student Health is also available by calling (805) 893-5361.


●Call (805) 893-3087 to make an appointment, no need to give the reason for the visit. Ali Javanbakht, M.D., Erin Moore, M.D. and Angie Magaña, N.P. are available to help you through this processYou can leave a confidential message or email through Gateway on the Student Health website.

Han Koehle, (pronouns: they/them) is our Queer and Trans Health Advisor available to help LGBTQI+ students navigate our healthcare services. You can contact them by calling (805) 893-2535 or email

Betsy Malear, MS, RD (pronouns: she/her) is a dietitian and health educator at Student Health available to help LGBTQI+ students navigate our healthcare services. You can leave a confidential voice mail (805) 893-3368,  or email through Gateway on the Student Health website, or make an appointment (805) 893-3371.

●Shereen Barr, LCSW (pronouns: she/her) is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. She is available to assist LGBTQI+ students with a variety of needs such as access to resources, information and counseling. Appointments can be made by calling (805) 893-3087, or a confidential email through Gateway on the Student Health website.

●Call (805) 893-3371 for the Advice Nurse or other appointments. Advice Nurses can also contacted confidentially through Gateway on the Student Health website, or in person without appointments needed during normal business hours.

●Visits to our Social Workers and Advice Nurses are provided at no charge. They can help you arrange care outside of UCSB. Call (805) 893-3087 to make an appointment with a Social Worker.

●Urgent Care is always available without an appointment. No charge for visits if you are covered by UC SHIP or GAP (labs, x-rays will incur charges); there are charges for those without UC SHIP which may not be covered by your insurance company.

●Psychiatrists, gynecologists and primary care clinicians are all available at Student Health. Call (805) 893-3371 or come in to Student Health for an appointment.


Janet Osimo, Psy.D. is a clinical psychologist working with transgender students. To make an appointment with her for counseling or insurance letters for gender confirming surgery, call (805) 893-4411 or go to the main CAPS office across from Storke Tower.

CAPS services are covered through your student fees. More information is available at the Counseling and Psychological Services Website.

genderneutral graphic
Student Health is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all students.

For your comfort, we have these single bathrooms available within our building: 

- Granada Clinic Waiting Room
- Sierra Clinic (connected to lab for specimen collection)
- Riviera Clinic (behind Information Desk)
- Physical Therapy (inside clinic)
- Health & Wellness Hallway