We've compiled a long list of safe spring break tips for everyone headed
to Spring Break. Here are some common-sense tips we've broken down into the different stages in preparation for your Break.
Before you pack that suitcase…
Research your destination – these are questions to ask
yourself and travel companions before you head out the door to
Safe Spring Break Tips: Do you know where you are going?
- If you are driving plan your route a head of time
and carry a map just in case you need to make a detour. Stick
to major highways and remember a Safe Spring Break starts with a
good car inspection before you leave. A major car repair will
take valuable dollars from your beer budget. Also don’t forget,
at some point, you have to come back so don’t spend all your gas
money in the hotel gift shop on the last day of your trip.
- If you are flying, make sure you know how you are getting
from the airport to your hotel. Call the hotel or your tour
operator ahead of time
and ask if they have a free shuttle or if they can recommend a
taxi service and get phone numbers. This information will be
very useful later in the week when you and your fellow spring breakers are pushed
out of the bar and need to get back to your … or their hotel
- Can you really fit in windsurfing, the safari jeep
trip and dancing all night at the hottest club in town into one
day? You can if you have a map of the actual place you are
staying and have researched the best way to get from the beach
to the club and back again. Safe Spring Break Tip: Try to find a map of your
destination before you leave. Walking around with the hotel map
or asking directions from strangers is like walking around with
a fanny pack – you scream lost tourist with money rob me.
Safe Spring Break Tips : Are you legal?
- A common-sense safe Spring Break Tip: If you are traveling to another country make sure
you know what documentation is required to enter and
leave that country – a passport or a raised-seal birth
certificate will get you in and
out of most countries and will get you safely back to US soil.
To be really sure, check with the U.S. consulate of the country
you are visiting.
here for more info. Also, check out http://travel.state.gov for current information on foreign conditions and http://www.cdc.gov/travel for health issues.
- What is the legal drinking age? Do not assume that
can you drink at 16 or 18 just because you think the United
States is the only country with an unreasonable drinking age.
Your hotel room will became really boring if you have to stay in
every night because the destination you picked will not allow
you into the clubs.
- Can I inhale? Just say no. In many countries
penalties for drug possession are VERY SEVERE. In addition, most
countries consider anyone over sixteen an adult – talk about a
permanent record. Even the hardiest Spring Breaker is not prepared
for a night in a Mexican jail.
Safe Spring Break Tips : Does anyone else know where you are going?
- Tell family and close friends where you are going-
including the name of the hotel and when you expect to
- Find out if your health and car insurance will
cover you while you traveling. A simple call to your
insurance company will tell you this.
Packing the suitcase….
What to Take
Safe Spring Break Tips : Tickets & Travel Docs (Passport and Drivers License)
- You can’t get on the plane with your good looks –
need I say more?
- Copies of your passport and Drivers License should
be packed and left in the hotel safe in case your picture ID is
lost at sea – anything is better than nothing at all.
Safe Spring Break Tips : Health Insurance
- Bring your health insurance ID cards with you! If you have UC SHIP go to the UC SHIP website to print a temporary card.
- If you have UC SHIP . . . save $$ and call the numbers on the back of the card for information about netwrok providers and best rates when traveling.
Safe Spring Break Tips : Money
- Know your currency and plan accordingly. Our
destination guides have tips on where to change money, but, as a
general rule, you will get the best deal at banks and exchange
houses. The airport and your hotel will give you the worst
- Don’t bring a lot of large bills – keep smaller
bills handy for tipping. Do not flash money around.
- Carry only one or two major credit cards – your
Limited Store Card is good at any mall in the US, but are you really
going to need it in Cancun? More cards equal more chances to
lose those cards.
Safe Spring Break Tips : Emergency Numbers
- 080 = 911 in Mexico, find out if the locality
where you are staying has an emergency number. Your hotel
can help you here.
- Carry the number for a reliable ground
transportation service (i.e. taxi company or the hotel shuttle)
with you at all times.
- Know how to call home. Nothing says, "I love you Mom
and Dad," like a brief call from another country, especially
when you are short on cash!
- Do you speak English? Know how to get in touch
with the US Consulate for your destination if you are traveling
abroad. Check with the
US State Department before you leave for
any travel warnings.
Safe Spring Break Tips for Sunscreen & Skin Care
- Remember your local drug store will probably have
better selection and prices on Sunscreen than the hotel gift
shop where you are staying.
- For a Safe Spring Break without sun poisoning or
sunburn, pack a sunscreen with at least a 15 SPF. If possible
try to find a waterproof sunscreen so that you don’t have to
reapply every time you are splashed by a wave relaxing on your
raft in Caribbean. Even then, be liberal in reapplying
- Pack at least one hat and a long sleeve shirt in
case the sun gets to be much.
- After sun lotion or aloe is also a good idea in
case you or someone else forgot a spot when putting on the
- Check out this Sunscreens and Tanning Fact Sheet.
Safe Spring Break Tips for Medicines
- Remember to pack any prescription medicine you need.
Keep prescription medicines packed in their original bottle
or packaging, so that you are not having to explain to a
Customs Officer what the little white pills are that have
spilled all in your luggage.
- Arrange for refills in advance; note that Adderall and other drugs used to ADHD are not legally allowed in some countries.
- Packing over the counter medicines for pain relief and stomach
distress will make you a popular person after a night out.
- BIRTH CONTROL – don’t forget your pills and
remember the pill increases your sensitivity to the sun.
– Currently one out of five college students have an STD, that is
one souvenir that nobody wants… have a fun but Safe Spring Break.
- Sunglasses – The higher the UVA and UVB protection the
darker the shades, not to mention the darker the shades.
I am here and loving it….
Once you make it to your destination, we have a few more
Spring Break safety tips
that can make sure you're still around to enjoy all of your
Safe Spring Break Tips : Time to Party
Little umbrella drinks are everywhere, but
staying out in the sun all day will make you
thirsty. Alcohol is not the thirst quencher! BEWARE of DEHYDRATION
- Alcohol dehydrates the body, add some sun and salt
water and we know from experience you will be heading up to your
room early and alone. To avoid this, drink plain, pure
water during the day.
- Know the signs of dehydration…. dizziness, weakness, muscle
spasms, passing out, confusion, dark urine … If you notice
these symptoms in yourself, make you next drink a tall glass of ice
- Prevent Dehydration by drinking lots of
non-alcoholic and non-caffeinated drinks before heading out to
the party and alternate alcoholic beverages with a
non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated drinks while out at the Beach
Party or Club. Not only will you stay hydrated, that
hangover the next morning should not be as severe.
- Trust us- you will be able to party longer and
harder by staying hydrated and your hang-over, if any, will be
shorter and less painful if you drink a large glass of a
non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated beverage before you go to bed.
safe spring break tip – pass on or
limit the salt on the Margarita Glass – do you really need to
ingest extra salt to further dehydrate your body?
Safe Spring Break Tips for Alcohol Poisoning
Every year hundreds of Spring Breakers are rushed
to resort hospitals with alcohol poisoning and sadly, every year
there are a number of Spring Breakers who will never see another
Spring Break. These safe spring break tips are important
for everyone traveling with you to know and understand.
- We understand the temptation, it is almost everywhere
you look – the pool, the beach, the club, the hotel room, the
plane… there is an insane amount of alcohol and you
are on vacation – just be careful.
- You will probably drink more the week of Spring
Break than you did the week you started college or turned 21.
Your body will seek revenge and ,even if you follow our safe
spring break tips, someone else like your roommate, your best
friend, etc. will push his or her limits.
- Know what to look for – the person has consumed
alcohol, is unconscious and cannot be woken and does not respond
to any attempts to wake them up. The person has cold, clammy and
unusually pale or bluish skin and they are breathing slowly or
irregularly. Additionally, a definite sign of alcohol poisoning
is when a person vomits and does not wake up. Remember someone
can have alcohol poisoning without vomiting.
- DON’T PANIC… Do not leave the person alone. This
is an emergency.
- Call 911 or its equilvent in the country where you
are staying, if you don’t know the number call information to
find out how to contact emergency medical personnel.
- Turn the person on their side to prevent choking
- Watch the breathing if breathing stops administer
- Whatever you do – do not let the person just
“sleep it off” or they may never wake up.
Ok – so you just want to relax and not regret it …Safe Spring
Break Party Tips
- Eat before and while you are drinking
- Set a limit on your drinks – know your limit
- Space and Pace your drinks remember if you go all
out at the beach or pool party then you will be too intoxicated,
dehydrated and tired to enjoy the Sunset Party Cruise
- We know form experience …Beer before Liquor – Never been sicker –
don’t mix alcoholic drinks. Make it a beer day or a daiquiri day
or you will be making it a hotel bathroom floor night.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic
- Limit drinking games as you always lose more than
you win – like you need to add fun to drinking while in a
Caribbean Island somewhere - please!
- Don’t accept open containers from others and watch
- Party with a buddy and let that person know where
you are going post party.
- Never mix acetaminophen (found in Tylenol) and
alcohol, it can cause major liver damage.
Safe Spring Break Tips : It’s a girl thing – don’t be a victim
Last year over 70,000-college women aged 18-24
were raped or sexually assaulted after consuming alcohol. This
number is based on reported cases, the experts estimate the
number of unreported sexual assaults on college women could be
anywhere from three to five times that number.
Beware of strangers - you have no way of knowing
whether the guy you are dancing with can deal with the fact you
are not having sex after the last dance. He could be “the one”
or he could be the guy that has “that reputation” on campus.
Beware of those you know – 1 in 4 women know their
attacker and on Spring Break expectations are high. Don’t let
your guard down if you are not ready.
Stay with your group, it is a lot harder to be
preyed upon if everyone is watching out for everyone else.
Guys too, be careful you are not immune from
predators, male and female.
For more information or questions, please email email@example.com