An easy-to-follow guide has been prepared by UC SHIP for your convenience.
If you are a UC SHIP member who will be graduating this quarter, or if you are losing UC SHIP eligibility because you are no longer a registered student at UCSB, it is important to plan ahead for continuing health coverage.
If your final quarter is spring, 2013, your last day of UC SHIP coverage is September 18, 2013. If your final quarter is fall or winter your last day of UC SHIP coverage is the last day of the quarter.
There is also a new option for ANY member (student or dependent) who has had UC SHIP for at least 3 months (even voluntary plans after graduation) called "Conversion", to purchase this individual plan from Anthem without any pre-existing exclusions.
STEPS TO ENROLL
Selecting a Plan
A variety of plans are available for you to purchase once your UC SHIP coverage expires. Plan types include short term coverage or 'gap' coverage, individual monthly plans that you must qualify for based on your health history, a ‘guaranteed issue’ conversion plan for persons with ongoing medical conditions, and public health insurance programs. The major carriers in California — including Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, Kaiser, and Health Net — offer many plans with different combinations of premiums, deductibles and benefits.
We recommend you call, email, or stop by the office to obtain a Certificate of Group Health Plan Coverage as proof of your continuous insurance coverage. This may help you to avoid being subject to pre-existing condition exclusions when you sign up for a new health insurance plan.
Please Note: This site is provided as a service to students. It is not meant as a University endorsement of any insurance company, plan, or broker. The information provided is a summary only and is subject to change. Contact the insurance company or a broker for additional plan details and the most current information about eligibility and benefits. See Glossary of Insurance Terms.
- E-Health Insurance is a licensed online broker site that allows you to get quotes, compare plans, and apply for health insurance online. Visit http://www.ehealthinsurance.com or call (800) 977-8860.
PPO and HMO insurance companies:
- Anthem Blue Cross -PPO, HMO and Short-Term plans (800) 777-6000, http://www.anthem.com/ca
- "Tonik" plans, (866) 333-4820, http://www.tonikhealth.com/ca
- Blue Shield of California, (800) 660-3007, http://www.blueshieldca.com
- Kaiser Permanente, (800) 232-5100, https://www.Kaiserpermanente.org
- Health Net - PPO, HMO and Short-Term plans, (800) 909-3447, http://www.healthnet.com
Public Health Insurance Programs
- Medi-Cal, California Department of Health Care Services, (800) 430-4263 (Health Care Options), http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/
- Major Risk Medical Insurance Plan, (800) 289-6574, http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/MRMIP.shtml
- Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, (877) 428-5060, http://www.pcip.ca.gov/Home/
Other Insurance Plans in California:
- Aetna - PPO plans, (800) 694-3258, http://www.aetna.com/members/individuals/health/plan_details/California/
- Pacificare (a United Healthcare company) - LPO and HMO plans, http://www.pacificare.com, (800) 624-8822