As part of your health care delivery team, it is our goal to provide quality laboratory services for all students.
The lab is inspected and licensed by the State of California and certified by CLIA (the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Ammendments). The lab is staffed by licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS) and Certified Phlebotomy Technicians.
- Phlebotomy (blood draws)
- On site testing: many lab tests are performed on site. Our microbiology department performs bacteriological cultures for the detection of possible pathogenic organisms from the throat (Strep screens), urine, wounds, and genital sites to screen for Neisseria gonorrhoeae, a sexually transmitted organism. Other tests include: CBC's (complete blood counts), urinalysis, pregnancy tests, mononucleosis testing, wet mounts to screen for yeast infections, skin and nail scrapings for fungus and stool tests for occult blood and for the detection of bacterial and parasitic infections.
- Reference laboratory testing (tests sent out to another laboratory)
- Tests can be ordered from our Student Health providers or your outside (private) providers (you may call the laboratory for additional information regarding these outside orders).
- Fasting instruction: if you are required to fast before having your blood test, do not eat for 12 hours. This includes food, juice, coffee or tea. Only water is allowed.
- Contact us at 805-893-2687 for any questions regarding the laboratory.